Subscribe to RSS Feed

December 18, 2011

Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire


Title: Rosemary and Rue
Author: Seanan McGuire
Format: book

Fae. Faerie. Fairy. However you spell it, this it what the whole book is about. In many of the paranormal series I've read, when the fae are involved, you also get a dose of vampires and/or werewolves and/or ghosts, etc. This series, however, is purely Fae.

Only familiar with some versions of how the Fae work, I found this in depth explanation of the Fae world to be interesting. The way some of the magic works is unique, and takes a twist on some of our favorite bedtime stories.

But while we get such a detailed view on the world October lives in, perhaps it's a little too detailed. There is so much explaining going on on why certain rules are in place, I found it a little too easy to forget why October brought me (the reader) to that location or item in the first place. I think I spent more time thinking about the world surrounding October than what she was doing or why.

While that isn't necessarily a bad thing -- to be able to get a full grasp of the character's world is good in most cases -- it made me lose momentum with the action. Dramatic scenes didn't quite seem dramatic enough in certain places, or startling facts didn't seem startling enough.

Apart from that, though, the way the reader is kept out of the loop and guessing about the answer was sufficient enough to keep me turning the pace. While I could've used a bit more suspense and punch, the lack of answers and constant wondering made me want to finish the book. I felt akin to October at times, frustrated by how people kept getting in the way or how rules made things too complicated when bluntness was better.

Faerie world is complex and built on so many layers of traditions and rules that it's no wonder October prefers the simpler way of doing things. Alas, she much find a happy medium between human and fae before she can hope to make any progress with either company.

Overall: 3.5 out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment