Subscribe to RSS Feed

January 25, 2012

One Foot In The Grave by Jeaniene Frost


Title: One Foot in the Grave
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Format: book


SPOILER ALERT!

I'm not entirely sure where to begin. I suppose I should tell how I felt about it. Simply put, it was disappointing. What I expected out of the book didn't exactly happen, and the progression of events left much to be desired. 


Cat isn't a stupid girl, but sometimes I wonder how she managed to kill all those vampires. Bones may have trained her, and sure she might have a nice body, but her general approach to situations aren't exactly intelligent. (I suppose you can excuse her that since the previous trend of vampires who got close to her didn't really care for her smarts, only the potential for sex and blood. She didn't really need to be super smart to get by.)


But still, I was hoping being associated with a secret governmental organization would... I dunno, do something. Tap into her inner intellect and let it free. Or something. Gain a few wrinkles in her brain. But Cat doesn't really do that. She doesn't think too extensively on a situation. She's more a do and damn the consequences type of person. While that's all good, some situations call for a bit of smarts.


And apart from that, I wish her method of dealing with some situations weren't so... rash? helter-skelter? selfish? I'm having trouble finding the word for it. But the point is, she doesn't seriously consider those around her or their situations. There is no compromise. It's my way or the highway. Because of her position and her value in the organization, she likes to slam her foot on the breaks whenever people mention something she doesn't like. 


i.e. The time when the boys find out she's fraternizing with Bones. Or the time when she figures out Don is related to her. 


Another thing that bothered me was some of Bones' powers. I suppose it's just a way that it was described in the book, since it's all from Cat's POV, but it really threw me off. Like the flying. Some people might see levitation, slow gliding through the air, etc etc. I see Superman in black, minus the body suit, add the dyed hair and fangs. For the life of me I couldn't get it out of my head. Bones + flying = Superman. It wasn't a very elegant imagery. I grimaced very hard and found it hard to read past that point. 


In fact, I struggled through the rest of the book like I was chewing on nails. I'm not entirely sure why, maybe the flying was just the final straw for me while I stumbled through the earlier parts of the book, but after that I couldn't progress past a few pages without putting the book down and waiting out an hour or two before I could come back and continue. (Rinse and repeat.)


I don't think I'll be picking up the next book. This book left a sour taste in my mouth. Someone else might not think so, but my experience was not so pleasant.


Overall: 2.5 out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment